Symantec Backup Exec™ 2012 is one integrated product that protects virtual and physical environments, simplifies both backup and disaster recovery, and recovers data or systems at any scale, from an individual item to an entire server. Reduce business downtime with unparalleled recovery, powered by Symantec™ V-Ray technology, that restores entire servers, critical Microsoft® applications, and VMware® or Microsoft Hyper-V® virtual guests. Meet your recovery point and recovery time objectives with integrated bare metal, hardware-independent disaster recovery, "no-hardware disaster recovery" in a virtual environment, application recovery, and efficient granular restore of individual emails, files, and folders. Simultaneously reduce storage costs and increase backup speed with deduplication and archiving. Backup Exec 2012 delivers centralized management to easily extend your backup infrastructure across distributed environments and remote offices so physical or virtual server protection is easily managed as your business grows. With a sleek and streamlined administration console, Backup Exec 2012 makes it easier than ever to efficiently manage backup and recovery operations across your physical and virtual infrastructure. Backup Exec 2012 efficiently delivers advanced capabilities for VMware, Hyper-V, Windows®, Linux®, and Mac® backup and recovery, for both simple and complex IT environments.
Unified virtual and physical backup
• Protect your virtual infrastructure with VMware and Hyper-V backup and recovery from the experts in virtual backup. Hostlevel backup, powered by V-Ray technology and integrated with VMware Data Protection APIs (application programming interfaces) and Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), enables backup of entire virtual guests and recovery at the virtual machine, virtual disk, application, and file/folder level. Advanced hypervisor features are also supported with both VMware and Hyper-V. Virtualized applications are supported too—backup and recover granular data from virtualized Microsoft® Exchange, SharePoint®, Active Directory®, and SQL Server® applications.
• Agentless or agent-based virtual protection Backup Exec 2012 gives you the flexibility to choose the level of recoverability you need in your VMware or Hyper-V environment. If you use an agent, you can backup and recover virtualized applications and restore files, folders, application data, and entire virtual machines. If you choose to go agentless, you can recover the entire virtual machine, ensuring protection at the virtual machine level. Backup Exec 2012 makes it easy to optimize VMware and Hyper-V backup to achieve the right blend of virtual machine performance and recoverability.
• Microsoft certified backup and recovery for the latest Windows environments and applications, including Windows 2008 R2®, Exchange 2010 SP1, SQL Server, and SharePoint.
• Comprehensive disk and tape storage for virtual, physical, and application backup.
• Reduce storage by up to 90 percent with deduplication, lowering storage costs across all your physical 1 and virtual2 backupswhile offering network bandwidth reduction for local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) backup. Shrink your backup storage requirements while making WAN-friendly remote office backup a reality. Deduplicate across all dataprotected by Backup Exec 2012, not just on a per-job basis. Additionally, deduplication offers significantly greater levels of storage savings versus compression or single-instance storage.
• Source deduplication for Linux servers enables significant LAN/WAN bandwidth and backup storage savings while protecting Linux servers in your environment.
• Ensure your virtual machine backups are recoverable with the Virtual Machine Validator that enables VMware and Backup Exec 2012 administrators to easily validate the recoverability of full virtual machine backups via the VMware vSphere™ client console.
• Backup Exec 2012 includes High Availability for virtual applications with Virtual Machine Auto-Recovery for VMware. It adds integration of the Backup Exec Management Plug-in 2.0 for VMware with Symantec™ ApplicationHA 6.0, which enables Backup Exec to automatically restore a failed virtual machine in order to recover lost application services once ApplicationHA has exhausted the steps to remediate the failure.
One product, any recovery
• Integrated bare-metal disaster recovery gives administrators the power to recover an entire server, to entirely different hardware, from backup copies of that server. From a DVD boot disk, called the Symantec™ Recovery Environment, connect to the Backup Exec 2012 server and recover an entire machine to completely different hardware.
• Convert backups to virtual machines for instant recovery so that if a server fails, you can get that server back up and running in a VMware or Hyper-V environment in the time it takes you to turn on a virtual machine. This "no-hardware disaster recovery" allows instant recovery of physical servers in a virtual environment—which can drastically shrink the amount of time your business-critical services are down. Converting backups to virtual machines extends the Backup Exec leadership in virtualization, and is built into Backup Exec 2012.
• Granular recovery for physical and virtual applications eliminates redundant backups for Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, and SQL Servers in virtual environments. From a single host-level backup of VMware or Hyper-V guest application servers, administrators can restore individual emails, SharePoint documents, Active Directory objects, and SQL Server databases. With Backup Exec 2012, there is no need for recovery environments, additional virtual machines, or other additional resources to recover granular data.
• Streamlined administration console makes it easier than ever to set up backups, manage backup policies, perform disaster recoveries, and convert backups of servers to virtual machines for instant disaster recovery. With Backup Exec 2012, you don't need to be a backup expert to run expert backups.
• Easily manage a growing Backup Exec 2012 infrastructure from single servers, Windows® data centers, VMware and Hyper- V environments, and remote offices from one console.
• Includes intelligent defaults for backup and recovery. Backup Exec 2012 automatically configures backup and restore operations with intelligent defaults, drawn from both Symantec's expertise in data protection and from the most successful policies and settings from the Backup Exec community. These defaults take the guesswork out of comprehensive protection, so you can quickly protect your data and applications with minimal effort.
• Power and simplicity combined, Backup Exec 2012 has streamlined many aspects of backup and restore configuration, management, and reporting. The same award-winning capabilities and level of in-depth functionality that backup administrators trust are still in Backup Exec 2012. The administration console just makes it easier and faster to manage your backup and recovery infrastructure than ever before.
Comprehensive backup and recovery
Backup Exec 2012 offers comprehensive backup and recovery, which reduces the complexity of protecting your company's most valuable asset—its data. Whether that data resides on a Windows file server, on a desktop, virtual machine, or on a critical application server like Exchange, SQL, or SharePoint, Backup Exec 2012 provides complete protection and recovery for your entire infrastructure—with a single solution.
Designed to meet the needs of today's virtual and physical environments, Backup Exec 2012 delivers disk and tape data protection for Windows, VMware, Hyper-V, Linux, and Mac environments. Sophisticated application protection is also available, with support for Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server, Active Directory, Oracle®, and others. Backup Exec 2012 provides integrated deduplication and archiving—which helps to eliminate backup windows, facilitates remote/branch office protection, and enables data center replication to disaster recovery sites. Powerful encryption, with 128-bit or 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption to disk or tape-based storage devices, ensures your critical data is secure whether in transit or at rest.
Powered by V-Ray technology, Backup Exec 2012 offers unparalleled capabilities for virtual backup and recovery. V-Ray is a group of Symantec technologies that give customers additional visibility into your virtual machines and applications. This additional insight helps to break down physical and virtual silos and enables transparent backup and recovery across your entire environment, with a single application. This unified protection allows you to more confidently secure, protect, run, and recover business-critical systems as well as reduce complexity and costs that can result by having multiple point solutions.
Simple to manage and monitor
Backup Exec 2012 has a state-of-the-art administration console enabling you to easily backup and restore physical and virtual servers and multi-server distributed applications. The same award-winning capabilities and level of in-depth functionality that backup administrators trust are still in Backup Exec 2012—the administration console just makes it easier and faster to manage your backup and recovery infrastructure than ever before.
The Backup Exec 2012 administration console eliminates the need to create policies to combine multiple related operations in a backup job. Backup operations are now created and scheduled as part of a backup workflow. Simplified scheduling lets you configure the most convenient run times for your backup jobs.
Backup Exec 2012 presents an entirely new approach to backup and recovery—making the job of data protection easier for companies of any size.
Available Editions, Agents, and Options
Backup Exec 2012 provides scalable, easy-to-manage backup and recovery for virtual and physical environments. Easily expand any Backup Exec 2012 environment to support critical applications, databases, and storage configurations with Backup Exec Agents and Options.
Core Backup Exec Editions
• Backup Exec 2012
• Symantec Backup Exec™ 2012 Small Business Edition (See Small Business Server data sheet)
• Symantec Backup Exec™ 2012 V-Ray Edition (See Backup Exec V-Ray Edition data sheet)
• Symantec Backup Exec™ 3600 Appliance
Backup Exec 2012 Agents
• Agent for Applications and Databases
• Agent for Windows
• Agent for Linux
• Agent for Mac
• Remote Media Agent for Linux
• Agent for VMware and Hyper-V
• Small Business Agent for Windows
Backup Exec 2012 Options
• Deduplication Option
• Enterprise Server Option
• File System Archiving Option
• Exchange Mailbox Archiving Option
• Library Expansion Option
• NDMP Option
• Virtual Tape Library Unlimited Drive Option
• Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option